REVELATION COMMENTARY COVER VOTE

three-coversSpecial Survey

I am interrupting my Postmillennial Primer series for a one-time special survey.

Tolle Lege, the publisher of my forthcoming commentary on Revelation, has typeset vol. 1 and is working on typesetting vol. 2. Not only so, but they are now looking into cover designs.

We are going to test the waters with three options. If you would like to vote on your favorite cover, please let me know which you would prefer. I will only display the cover to vol 1;  the cover to vol 2 would copy the design of the first one while replacing the graphic image with a related one.

UPDATE!

On the afternoon of 1/17/17 from all sources of our survey the votes were:

#1 = 34%
#2 = 33%
#3 =  33%

On 1/18/17 at 6:00 AM the votes have changed remarkably:

#1 = 29%
#2 = 29%
#3 = 40%

It looks like we might have to go to the Electoral College after checking the hanging chads! I wonder if the Russians are doing this to make matters more difficult?

Book covers are important because people actually do judge a book by its cover. The cover of a book must capture the eye on a store shelf containing scores of other books. Otherwise, a potential reader/buyer might walk on by, not picking up the book and surveying its Table of Contents to see what it is about. (If they had taken my course on Righteous Writing, they would know how important it is to look at a book’s Table of Contents to help evaluate the book.)

By the way, I will not be posting the high-resolution version. So they will not seem as clear as the final result. But I think you will be able to figure it out.

So here are the three options, along with a brief statement regarding the meaning of the cover.

Do you prefer Cover 1 (for vol. 1):

This option uses a white cover to emphasize the color of the paintings more. Also a more classic clean look for academic sharpness and clarity. Vol. 1 presents a famous painting of Nero burning Christians on poles. This corresponds to the beginning of the tribulation in Revelation (Rev. 1:9). Vol. 2 (not shown) presents a famous painting of the destruction of the temple. This is about the last half of Revelation. Both pictures correspond to the judgment theme of the title, The Divorce of Israel. The pictures depict the two cities of Revelation: Rome and Jerusalem.

cover-1

Do you prefer Cover 2 (for vol. 1):

Vol. 1 shows the most famous symbol of Israel in antiquity, the Menorah. Behind it is the temple stone which will be thrown down in God’s judgment. The Menorah also represents the seven candlestands of the seven first-century churches to which Revelation was sent. The church will take over the function of the temple after the stone temple is destroyed (2 Cor. 6:16; Eph. 2:19-22). The scroll below represents God’s divorce decree against Israel with the flame of God’s judgment beginning to show. This highlights the commentary’s main theme and its title, The Divorce of Israel.

Vol. 2 (not shown) depicts the four horses of the apocalypse and the fire of judgment in full flame. In the first book, the fire is just hinted at behind the scroll, in the second, the fire is all-consuming in judgment.

cover-2

Do you prefer Cover 3 (for vol. 1)?

This option uses a white cover to emphasize the color of the paintings more. Also a more classic clean look for academic sharpness and clarity. Vol. 1 shows the famous painting of Nero burning Christians on poles. This corresponds to the beginning of the tribulation in Revelation (Rev. 1:9).

Vol. 2 has the famous painting of the destruction of the temple. This is about the last half of Revelation. Both pictures correspond to the judgment theme of the title, The Divorce of Israel. The pictures depict the two cities of Revelation: Rome and Jerusalem. Cover for volume 2 not shown.

cover-3

Post your vote in the COMMENT section on this page.

We look forward to hearing from you. And if you would like to hear from me in a conference on Revelation, I would love to come and minister God’s word at your church.

000 Conference Ministry

Tagged:

78 thoughts on “REVELATION COMMENTARY COVER VOTE

1. rethink96 January 16, 2017 at 7:57 am

Hello Ken I like cover 1, until I read your notes on cover 2.

My vote is for cover 2

Blessings on your ministry!

Michael & Sue Whitrow rethink@internode.on.net

2. Jason January 16, 2017 at 10:40 am

#2 hands down

3. Kenneth Gentry January 16, 2017 at 11:05 am

So then, you are saying “hands up” for #2?

4. Frank Morgan January 16, 2017 at 11:08 am

If the purpose of the cover is to catch the eye of the reader, either on the store shelf or most likely today online, then the picture in 1 or 3 does that better than the one in #2 does. The notes you wrote on #2 may better reflect the purpose of the book but most people won’t immediately associate that picture with the contents. I would vote for #1 for its classic clean look and its ability to catch my eye quickly and demand my attention. It commands “Open me” and that’s they purpose of any cover.

5. Sandra McFerran January 16, 2017 at 11:56 am

#2. It is eye-catching at first glance.

6. Trent January 16, 2017 at 11:56 am

Number 1.

7. Diane January 16, 2017 at 11:58 am

I would go with #2 only because I don’t think the general public will “get” the Roman candles.

8. Larry E. Ball January 16, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I vote for cover #3. Catches the eye quickly. #2 reminds me of the two closely-fit rolls on my mother’s old ringer washer.

9. Kenneth Gentry January 16, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Larry! You are putting through the ringer! 😉

10. PAUL TERRELL January 16, 2017 at 12:59 pm

#2 gets my vote. The painting in nos. 1 & 3, while fascinating, strikes me as too busy to be an effective cover image. I like the bolder title text and the quickly identifiable images of #2.

11. Gloria January 16, 2017 at 1:17 pm

On a large scale (such as 4 feet X 8 feet) hanging on a large wall in a museum, the painting used in covers #1 and #3 might catch your attention, however at this very small scale it is merely fussy and thus would easily loose out to more dynamic covers in its vicinity on book store shelves. That said… if I had to choose from these 3 options, I would reluctantly choose #2.

However…. if you would indulge my professional advice (I am an award winning graphic designer… but no charge) I have a few suggestions to consider.

1. the current title falls short of its potential… have you considered?:

“God’s Divorce Decreed”

or

“God’s Decreed Divorce”

Either of these suggested titles eliminate the tedious unnecessary words (“the” and “of”) and also avoid the certain accusation of anti-semitism and subsequent dismissal by critics which I suspect your current title will illicit. This unfortunate accusation may negatively impact sales (though admittedly an anti-semitic claim -could- impact sales positively…. but only in a manner which muddies the intent of your work). My suggested titles (or any other dynamic name) could avoid that unfortunate accusation (at least at the outset), by our current culture’s ethnically oversensitive tendencies. (While I will not allow any title you choose to impact my decision to purchase and read it, I STRONGLY desire for your work to get as large a reading as possible, thus I offer this consideration…. in other words; I’m on your team.)

In a quick internet search, I do not see another book by either of my suggested titles, however, for what ever reason, I would encourage you to consider a shorter and more dynamic title.

2. As to the design, I suggest: (and would be happy to do a rough to help you better visualize it).

Starting from your #2 option…. I would eliminate the menorah and turn the burning scroll vertical and run it along the right edge of the book’s cover. I suggest then running the type flush right in close proximity to the burning scroll (of course make sure the flames are also uprighted with this change). I might suggest the cover be a full bleed black background (as black is currently behind the flames on #2). But…. (if the budget allows) I would suggest a different dark color since black is so prevalent among book covers, thus… I suggest a very dark warm brown to give the cover a more distinctive look (and a hint of history). If the designer could also silhouette the scroll against the background color, (rather than the current picture box approach) this would also be preferable. I do like the font the designer chose in option #2 and I think it would work well in white (or hot yellow) in the layout I am suggesting.

If you should choose either of the titles I suggest, I would emphasize the most important word; “GOD’S” by making it slightly larger than the 2 subsequent words, which would each be on separate lines beneath (i.e. a three line approach to; GOD’S DIVORCE DECREED). This will work well both space-wise and esthetically, since it is also the shorter word of the three. Additionally, I would place the subtitle below the main title and place the author’s name at the bottom.

Because… “A picture is worth a thousand words”… I would prefer to show you what I am “seeing” rather than explain it, but I hope this will help.

I am looking forward to reading the finished product and I hope this book will see MANY editions (iow; exceed the publisher’s expectations!).

For His glory!
    Gloria

12. Aleksey Fomichenko January 16, 2017 at 1:30 pm

#2. The edges of the scroll could use some work to better blend with the fire behind, though.

13. Mike Eccleston January 16, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Cover 1

14. Charlie Dines January 16, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Cover 3. Unique and balanced with colorful photo on top and large fonted title below. 3 for sure.

15. Scott January 16, 2017 at 2:04 pm

#3 🙂

16. Alex January 16, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Hello Dr. Gentry.

This is my first time commenting on your site, though I’ve been reading for about a year and a half. Regardless of which cover you use, I plan on buying this book. #2 cover is the one that jumped out at me at first glance because of it’s color design (larger and closer-up) compared to #1 and #3. Also, the title “The Divorce of Israel” is larger and heavier in black than the other two covers and Immediately capture the attention of the eyes and is a slightly easier read at a quick glance. If I saw this on a shelf at a book store I would think “HMMMM, this seems interesting” and would pick it up at once and start a scan of the contents to investigate further. That’s my take!

17. Kenneth Gentry January 16, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Very interesting. I appreciate your taking your time to interact.

I am aware of the probable push-back on “The Divorce of Israel” title. And like you, I prefer verbal statements (verbs have more punch) and fewer prepositions (prepositions are clunky and cause the mind to stumble). However, this book has long been advertised under this title as forthcoming, and it is typeset as such. I, however, think it might intrigue people, even folks that might not like the idea. And it is the driving principle undergirding my whole argument.

In fact, I have been challenged by a Duke University professor on the alleged anti-Semitism. I responded to him at length, and won his understanding regarding my not being anti-Semitic. As with him, I will point out in the Introduction to The Divorce of Israel that the concept is not anti-Semitic but is drawn from Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Hosea — all three men are known not to be anti-Semitic.

Significantly, I have about a dozen books in my library by critical scholars who argue that the NT itself is anti-Semitic. And we all remember how Mel Gibson had to remove from his movie “The Passion of the Christ” the quote from Matt. 27:25 because it was anti-Semitic.

Not only do I have a section in the Introduction that deals with that matter, but in my book Navigating the Book of Revelation, I have a whole chapter on the issue.

I have also dealt with the matter on this blogsite in an article titled: “Preterism is Anti-Semitic.”

I have passed your note to the designer regarding design issues. I will see what he thinks.

Thanks again!

18. TRINITASblog January 16, 2017 at 3:29 pm

It’s a difficult decision but #1 just barely beats out #3. What makes #1 the way to go is that the title (which will be THE thing that will make people take a second look) draws the eye because of the placement and because of the auburn color on the white back ground.

The thing I like about #3 is that the picture is more pronounced because of it’s size but then, it causes your title (which again is your money maker) to become a bit cluttered with the other text and the auburn bar around it, which makes it less legible at first glance. (Also, the black color makes the title pop less). Perhaps maybe you could enlarge the picture on #1 just a little bit so that it’s a little more legible without distracting from your title.

Also, if I may say, #2 is probably not the way that you want to go. Overall, there is so much there that it’s just too much and becomes rather cluttered and illegible. Also,the font for your title does not come across as polished and is not a “clean look for academic sharpness and clarity.” Rather, it looks more like a cover for a self published book rather than a serious academic work that is the magnum opus of a serious scholar (which is what you deserve.)

19. Tim Roof January 16, 2017 at 3:53 pm

No. 1 is the best; clean, academic-looking. Looks like something I would find produced by Westminster Theological Seminary where my Pastor, my wife and many other friends work, so I am inclined immediately toward it. No. 2 looks like an internet blog site; No. 3’s text is “too busy” and kind of hard to follow.

20. Jason January 16, 2017 at 4:07 pm

The white borders on #1 are distracting from the content. #2 catches the eye first. I like the painting though, which makes #3 very attractive as well.

21. Jason January 16, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Lol. Yes

22. RevCharles ROBERTS January 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm

No. 2, all the way, best of the best. Use #2

23. Jonathan Harris January 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I vote for cover #3 (with cover #2 a distant second choice)

24. Matt January 16, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Number 3. Catches the eye. Clean. Modern.

I cannot wait to buy these books.

25. Gloria January 16, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Thank you Dr. Gentry,

I concur that your intent is not anti-semitic and am familiar with your argument to that point. As a reader of your past work, I’m already convinced…. but am loathed to warn you that you may find yourself exhaustively and repeatedly arguing such a trivial point and thus loosing that fleeting moment to accomplish the book’s greater intended purpose. IOW; Wrong first impressions are hard to change! Thus make the first impression count! Max it out!

Additionally, my concern is for the potentially —large distraction— such an unfortunate and uninformed criticism of anti-semitism will be to the greater purpose for which this monumental work is intended. If such a trivial, but potentially large distraction, can be avoided I would strongly consider doing so. I am not sure how much weight any previous publication of the intended current title would actually be negated by merely changing the title at this point… but surely its otherwise potential future place in posterity would warrant any minor temporary setback such a change might cause. To put it more succinctly… before the presses run, change is doable and a good change is worth it!

As to the idea of intriguing, you are correct…. that is an important consideration and largely the point of my posting. Sadly many excellent works lost their chance to meet their potential impact…. but for a bland name. I would give examples… I just can’t think of any off the top of my head… but that proves the very point. So while I definitely agree with you the idea of “Israel being divorced” is —somewhat— intriguing (at least for those people concerned for Israel) I would commend to you the broader appeal of “God” actively DOING ANYTHING (especially divorcing!)….. as more compelling than Israel being the passive recipient of anything. From a marketing perspective, “God” is more broadly appealing than “Israel.” ….and assertion is more intriguing than reception.

From a marketing perspective;

God is more broadly appealing than Israel” (GOD > Israel)

Active is more compelling than passive. (Active > passive)

Assertion is more dynamic than reception. (Assertion > reception)

therefore…
    GOD – actively – asserting – is more marketably appealing than – Israel passively receiving.

Additionally either of the 2 alternate titles is in keeping with your original intent. (Though you may come up with another yet MORE dynamic title!)

No need to justify your decision… it is YOUR life’s work! I will buy and read it even if it sports a plain white cover with a long “clunky” black title and no pictures…. but I want your book to knock the world’s theological socks off! I will continue to pray your work will bring Christ the glory He is due!

For Christ and His Kingdom,
    Gloria

26. Everett Chronister January 16, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I like #2

27. rev.dr.jasongarwood January 16, 2017 at 5:22 pm

#1

28. Joe Carlin January 16, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I agree with Alex, of these choices, #2 catches the eye the most. I also like the explanation behind it. However, I also agree that many potential readers might not understand the references. I love the picture on 1 & 3, but I agree with those who pointed out that it is too small for a book cover because of the level of detail in it. It looks better on 3 than on 1 though. I sure would like to see what Gloria’s proposal looks like. I will be buying it no matter what. God Bless.

29. isaacoverton January 16, 2017 at 5:30 pm

As someone with a qualification in Graphic Design, I would go #3 or #1 – #2 looks more like the sort of cover you might find on a paperback rather than a respectable academic tome. Maybe you could use something like #2 for the shorter version of the commentary. I would select #3, it has the professionalism of #1, but not the ‘boring-ness.’ #3 has a slight edge of creativity lacking in #1 I think. Boringness is fine though! There are plenty of commentaries that go for that, in fact probably most of them.

Either way, hurry up so we can read the thing!! 😉

Blessings!

30. Roderick Fish January 16, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I vote for cover #2.

31. Joe Carlin January 16, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Is the goat head in the flames intentional?

32. Digby James January 16, 2017 at 6:17 pm

#3 followed closely by #2, but definitely not one. The theme is interesting as Colin Hamer has just had his PhD on Marital Imagery in the Bible and Divorce published (http://colinhamer.com) in which he speaks a lot about God as Israel’s husband and subsequent divorce.

33. Eric Bennett January 16, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Cover 2

34. Chris Cole January 16, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Number 3.

35. Jon S January 16, 2017 at 7:06 pm

#3

36. Harold H. Wesche January 16, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Cover 1.

37. Bodie Hodge January 16, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Cover #2 grabbed me from the get go. Though I like the artwork in #3–can be used on the back cover?

38. Ray Levick January 16, 2017 at 8:24 pm

All 3 are great but perhaps the more conservative No 1 will be best as some may feel No 2 too dazzling.

39. Douglas Domer January 16, 2017 at 8:34 pm

I vote for #2. I like the idea of having the Divorce Decree on the cover.

40. gm923stevens January 16, 2017 at 8:40 pm

I am drawn to cover # 3.

41. KYle C January 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm

#1 is the best. Very clean and pleasing to the eye.

42. Mary A. Carson January 16, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Cover 2 – eye catching, very Jewish. I’m anxious to buy and read your book no matter what cover you choose!

43. Stephen Baker January 16, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Yes on #3.

#2 is too busy, which makes it look cheap and self-published.

#1 is less dynamic than #3.

#3 is both professional looking and dynamic.

44. Richard Adams January 16, 2017 at 11:25 pm

I’m partial to #3. It seems balanced and clear, and points to the subject better than the other two, I think. #1 would be a close second but #3 is more powerful. I would love to have a print of that painting if you know where I could get one, Dr. Gentry, and I can’t wait to read the first volume.

45. Roger January 16, 2017 at 11:42 pm

A toss up between 1 and 3. I’ll go for 1 so you have a vote. Been looking forward to reading what’s behind the cover ever since I heard you were writing it. That was two or three years ago, maybe more. Glad you’ve come this far. Many blessings.

46. Larry Widman January 17, 2017 at 1:08 am

Cover #2

47. Stewart Wilson January 17, 2017 at 4:42 am

Cover#2 for me.

48. Jan Prorok January 17, 2017 at 5:09 am

My vote is 3-1-2. Number 3 looks solid, respectable, serious. Number 1 is good, but feels a bit too much Puritan Paperback-ish. 🙂 Number 2 feels way too much cut-and-paste-ish, nearly dispensational KJV onlyist.

49. Sharyl McKeever January 17, 2017 at 6:24 am

cover 2 is my vote. I like the scroll being pictured on the front along with the title. Kind of helps the title sink in more for me. The picture at the top is quite eye catching too and I love the symbolism there as well.

50. Stephen Thomasma January 17, 2017 at 7:16 am